BEFORE TIME BEGAN
Psalm 90:1—4 "LORD, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night."
We have limited understanding about time & eternity--Dinvine vs our humanity
1. we consider this life to be all there is—determine that time starts with us God has purpose for our very existence, lifetime, eternal life beyond comprehension
2. no such thing as reincarnation—that puts our life totally in time—we are eternal spirits
3. your life is eternal —existed in God’s mind, heart, spirit long before/after birth
4. we will live eternally w/Christ after this life—time here comparatively infinitely small
5. if took bird thous yrs to carry one grain/sand from here to sun, when all sand gone, eternity
6. ask you to expand your thinking with an eternal perspective—not easy to do
7. eternity extends as far before time began as it does beyond end of world
I. GOD EXISTED ETERNALLY BEFORE THE CREATION OF WORLD
A. God is the FIRST CAUSE—always was & always will be—Alpha & Omega
1. world knowledge & new discoveries neglect the eternal perspective of life—millions/yrs?
2. John 1:1-5: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life ; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
3. God existed eternally before He created worlds, life, mankind-
4. immeasurable expanse of existence—NOT measured by time—Gen 1:1 & 2 eternity before creation & after world dissolved
B. definition of eternity= God is from everlasting to everlasting—text vs 4
1. everlasting is not measured by time at all—perpetual, infinite, unending, fathomless void, immeasurable expanse, without beginning or ending
2. fundamental, foundational, functional concept of God beyond any human measurement
3. His vastness defies comprehension, His existence indescribable, His Being incomparable
4. and we have audacity to deny His very Being, His influence in our lives
Ps 8:3-4: When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
II. JESUS==THE LAMB OF GOD SLAIN FROM THE FOUNDATION—Rev 13:8
A. the determinant council of God=God would become flesh & dwelt among us
John 1:14: And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us , (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
1. where do we get the authority to define Almighty, Everlasting, Omniscient,
Everywhere Present God into three human-like beings we call Father, Son & Holy Spirit?
2. Duet 5:1 repeated by Jesus in Mark 12:29:
And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel ; The Lord our God is one Lord:
3. God is a Father because He had a Son, Jesus, & Holy Sp came in Jesus’ Name to abide w/us
4. there was no Triune discussion in hev about Who would go to earth to die for man
5. God’s eternal plan always to become a man & dwell among us, to save us, to forgive us
B. there are no “OH! OH!s” with God—not caught off guard by man’s sin or cross
1. God’s plan is to dwell with men eternally--Rev 21:1-6: And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
2. Rev 13:8 suggests that those who receive Christ already have names written in
Lamb’s book of life FROM the foundation of the world.
III. GENESIS 1:1 WAS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF GOD’S DEALING WITH MAN
A. “in the beginning” is the beginning of what? Beginning of Time
1. why creation HAD to be a 24 hr day—Gen 1:3-5: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
2. concept of time is God’s idea for man—3 score & ten—already 5 yrs overdue myself
3. story: man assigned job/signaling end/work day w/whistle; everyday stopped jewelry shop, set watch by big clock on wall; how keep such exact time? Set it daily by 5 PM factory whistle
4. time is relevant—but to what? It is now April 20, 2008, 7:30 PM AD (in yr/Lord)
movement to reset time to relate to other events
B. proof God used 24 hr days to establish creation—could have done it in instant
1. “God said, let it be…and it was good”—spoke it into existence—labor came after the fall
2. those who want to make creation into millenniums—no concept of God, eternity (Obama)
3. what makes time? Light & darkness—measured by date, hours, minutes, seconds
4. when He comes, changed in twinkling of an eye==man’s most minute measurement/time time study=therbileg (Gilbreth spelled backwards) nanoseconds
5. man’s life bound up in time—God is not—He is “ancient of days”
6. man’s prayer, talk to God: God w/You 1000 yrs/day? Almighty? Created world/day? Do impossible? Answer my prayer? In a min
IV. Need to honor God w/time, talent, tithe, trust—in prayer, church attend, service
1. greatest sin/church—too little time for eternal God in our lives
2. Eph 5:15-16: See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil .
3. as grow older recognize that time which once was plentiful now is precious
4. try to schedule time—ever sched a heart attack? Auto accident? Some disease=3 months/live
5. Paul: Acts 24:25: And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
6. how much time do you have left? When will it be more convenient for you to come to God?
7. 2 Cor 6:2: For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted , and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
8. Billy Graham story about Albert Einstien on train, conductor punch ticket, can’t find, OK, recognize him; mins later Einstien on floor look for ticket—OK know who you are—“I know who I am too but I don’t know where I am going”
Click here to download MS Word Document file for this message
Return to Main Page